Sunday, July 10, 2011

lost trail

Last week was my biannual trip to the Midwest. The pit stops? St Louis, MO; Springfield, IL; Columbia, MO; and Kansas City (KS and MO). Mostly it was visiting family. But there was, of course, an ulterior motive. Finding bottle caps! The trip started off well: the traveling companions I met at the airport had a few for me and as soon as I arrived in St Louis, there were a few more!  But those will be discussed at a later date.

The first crown I want to highlight this week is Lost Trail Soda. Lost Trail was purchased at a supermarket in Kansas City (Kansas! Not Missouri!) after a trip to the wonderful independent bookstore Rainy Day Books. I was able to get Root Beer, Sarsaparilla, Cream Soda, and Strawberry & Cream in a 4-pack. All of the bottle caps were the same, but since I was there, and buying an "authentic" Kansas soda, I figured I would try as many flavors as I could. This was the only root beer that I could find that is made and bottled in Kansas, but if anyone knows of any others, tell me about them in the comments section.



The bottle cap is fun -- a cowboy on a horse yelling "Yahoo!" all one color. It's a playful idea, although I wish they would have pulled a Stevens Point/Henry Weinhard and given the cowboy a few additional things to say. Yee-haw? Howdy? Giddiup? The possibilities are endless. Lost Trail, if you need more ideas, let me know.

I'm happy to report that all of the flavors (save the Strawberry & Cream -- WAY too sweet) were quite delicious and were made with cane sugar (not HFCS). The cream soda in particular was excellent: smooth and flavorful. I'd definitely buy them again if given the opportunity!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I've always liked this cap. Although I don't collect soda, I think I have it in the color red as well as the gold. Wish I knew you were heading to St. Louis... there's on cap from there I'm dying to add to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren--Thanks so much for including us in your blog! We're a small family run company trying to shave pennies on our products, but if you would be so kind as to send me your snail mail address I'll send you one of our collectible postcards featuring cowboys with ALL KINDS of things to say! Shelly Schierman, shelly@mokancomm.net

    ReplyDelete