Monday, April 25, 2011

flying dog

I love Ralph Steadman and have an appreciation for Hunter S. Thompson. One of the first H.S.T. books I read was The Curse of Lono, and I fell in love with Steadman's artistic style. This is why I love the Flying Dog bottle cap and website (I highly recommend you check it out!).



Rather than get into the nitty gritty of what gonzo journalism is, or give you a book report on Hunter S. Thompson (but seriously, read him already), I thought I would talk a little bit about this lawsuit going on between Michigan and Flying Dog and the Raging Bitch 20th Anniversary ale that they came up with.

So, the long and short of it is that Michigan doesn't think that it's appropriate to have a beer called "Raging Bitch" distributed within the state. But as the DCist.com article points out, Michigan already sells "Doggie Style" and "Dirty Bastard" beer from Flying Dog, both with equally "inappropriate" names -- if you go based on what they say about Raging Bitch, of course.

I always give kudos to clever advertising and product names. And besides, the fact that Michigan already allows a beer named Dirty Bastard to be sold just seems downright inconsistent. Flying Dog, I salute you for sticking to your guns. 

I could go on and on about the politics of this whole thing, but dear readers, that is not what you come to this blog for. You come here for awesomely cool bottle caps. But I would love to know your thoughts, too. Please feel free to leave comments about how you feel about this lawsuit. In the meantime,  I'll step off my soap box, and have a Raging Bitch for everyone in Michigan that can't have one tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment