Tuesday, April 26, 2011

newport storm

There was a period of time in my life when I was spending many a weekend in Providence, RI.  I had a good friend getting  a degree there, and it gave me the opportunity to have a "weekend house" away from NYC.

Providence is an underappreciated east coast city. River-Fires in the summer, a great local food scene (places like Luxe Burger Bar and Union Station Brewery), and plenty of junk -- I mean "antique" -- stores. I would drag my friend to every junk store in the area, even though I wasn't really sure what I was searching for. I have a fascination with things that others throw away, and junk stores allow me to look through other people's things in a way that is semi-acceptable. My friend used the opportunity to look for old baseball cards. To each his own.



One of the beers that we would drink regularly was Newport Storm: Cyclone Edition, and even then, I was saving bottle caps. I think my favorite thing about this cap is the writing on the side: "Newport Storm The Cap." The actual cap is a graphic of a cyclone with a bird in the eye of the storm.

Sadly, I don't spend nearly as much time in Providence as I once did, but there is talk of taking a trip to Newport, which of course, would mean a trip to the brewery (have I mentioned my love of brewery/factory tours?) and also eating many, many lobster rolls. Let's hope we can make it there this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment