Monday, May 16, 2011

monty python holy grail ale

If you ever met me, one of the first things that you'd probably learn is that I love Monty Python. Many a night of my childhood was spent watching reruns of Flying Circus on PBS, and even more afternoons were spent watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail over and over and over again. I had taped it from TV, and the VHS tape got to the point where the sound didn't work anymore. But by then it didn't matter: I could recite the whole script anyway.

A few years ago, much to my surprise, I found a large bottle of Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale at my local supermarket. I had to buy it. And then it sat in my fridge. And sat and sat. I was conflicted about it. I couldn't find another bottle, and I didn't want to open it and then have to throw it away. And I live in a NYC apartment, so its not like I have somewhere to keep spare Monty Python Holy Grail Ale bottles on my shelves. So it continued to live in the refrigerator.

Then I started collecting bottle caps, and I would look at that lonely bottle of beer in my fridge, I'm sure skunked beyond all belief (and frankly, now I'm afraid to open it), and didn't quite understand why it didn't have an awesome, Monty Python-esque bottle cap. So it continued to sit there, unopened.



Then last week happened. Some free time before a concert on the Upper West Side and a wander through Fairway and what did I happen upon? A six pack of Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale. You don't even KNOW how excited I was! And I couldn't buy it. I wasn't headed straight home - there was a concert, and then I had dinner plans. There was no way I was carrying a six pack of beer all over NYC, as much as I wanted to bring the bottle caps home right then and there. Luckily, a very good friend of mine lives not far from Fairway, and I immediately told her that we were making plans for the next weekend that would involve drinking beer. She agreed. And so it was done. In thy mercy. With the yams and the sloth and the orangutans and the breakfast cereals......



The best part? These bottle caps are WAY better than the one I have in my fridge. They have a grail. They have Monty Python. They cross out the Gr in Grail. Why, then, would the bottle cap in my fridge not be as good? I guess they're both in the set/series, but really now.  Black Sheep Brewery (Oh man, you guys better have some good sheep on your other bottle caps. Trusty readers -- send me pics! Or better yet, send me crowns!)

This is also the perfect excuse to post some Monty Python and the Holy Grail clips. It is SO hard to choose a favorite! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment